A run in this week has made me want to talk about this subject.
So, so great.
… Let’s talk about them, shall we?
The Wedding Industry is filled with weirdos. Cheesy men with gold chains, middle aged women that haven’t grown up and are still planning their dream wedding, young women that are self proclaimed fashionistas and DJ’s.
In all of this weirdness, Wedding Planners CAN BE the strangest breed. Did you see what I did there? The CAN BE makes it so that I didn’t include all Wedding Planners, so I don’t want to look at my comment box and see it flooded with angry Wedding Planners!
But, most of you can be kind of weird.
I have worked with hundreds of Wedding Planners in my life and when there is a good one, they are AWESOME, but when there is a bad one, they are HORRENDOUS.
There is something GREAT about having someone in the business that can help point you in the right directions. It’s also great knowing that on your wedding day you won’t have to worry about the little details. That you don’t have to call the band and Jazz singer when they still haven’t arrived 20 minutes after the all of the guests have seated.
Here are a few things that you need to consider:
1. Talk to your friends. Who did they use? This, I have found, is the best way to find a planner.
2. Look at the person’s credentials. And having a great WEDDING board on Pintrest DOES NOT mean that you’re a wedding planner. How long have they been doing it? Have them show you photos of weddings that they have planned.
3. Talk to Brides that have used this planner. What did they like about this person? What didn’t they like? Make sure the conversation is very candid.
4. How is the Planners energy? I know, I know. It sounds all kooky and cosmic but really, what energy do they give off? Frazzled, uptight planner means frazzled and uptight wedding.
Make sure that they are calm, professional and fun! Hey, you’re the one that has to spend a lot of time together and I don’t know about you, but I want to be with someone I enjoy.
5. How are they viewed in the Industry? There are Planners that all of us in the Industry know by name that we LOVE to work with. They are our friends and most importantly? They KNOW that they they are not an expert in our individual fields, WE ARE and they work WITH US to collaborate and make your wedding beautiful. They aren’t like this
Just like we know the good ones, we know the bad ones and it makes it to where we don’t want to work with their brides. Be wary if they start talking badly about people they are going to use in the industry or if you ever hear the words “I’ll handle this” followed by them being disrespectful to us, run. Yes, Planners are there to put out fires, but I have seen way too many planners start fires just so they can put them out so that you know that they are worth your money. These planners create drama and why would you need more drama?
6. Make sure that they listen to you and that they don’t take over your wedding.
Look, you get the idea. Essentially, this person will be in charge of your most important day. Just make sure they are a normal, kind and professional human being.
Sounds weird, but those people can be hard to find.